Cowles Hill Cemetery
This cemetery is located 6 miles to the NW of Nebraska City, off Highway 73/75, on the NE corner of the intersection of 55th & 'D' roads.
"Cowles Hill Cemetery, located in Wyoming Precinct, consists of three acres in the Southwest corner of the Southeast quarter of Section 15, Township nine, Range three, Otoe County, Nebraska. The Cemetery Association was organized August 5, 1870 at a meeting held in the Giles School House.
This organization, with J.H. Gregg as chairman and A.T. McCartney as clerk, purchased a plot of ground from Mr. & Mrs. Charles Cowles fir the sum of $50.00 on December 26, 1872. Two of the Cowles children had previously been buried on this plot of ground. Cowles Hill Cemetery Association held the first Memorial services in 1896 in the Wyoming Methodist Church next to the cemetery. These services have been held annually for eighty-six years in the same building.
In 1938 a boulder, seven feet high and weighing ten tons, was placed near the gate to the cemetery. A plaque, on this stone, bears the inscription, 'In memory of the Pioneers of This Community.' The cemetery is maintained by a perpetual care fund established in 1929. The cemetery is a tribute to our founding fathers and posterity." (1)
Burial Listing: A complete listing of burials can be found in the Members Only Section.
Point of Contact:
Cowles Hill Cemetery Association
804 Central Ave.
Nebraska City, NE 68410-2409
(1) Baier, Mary. Otoe County, Nebraska, 1983: Otoe County History. [Nebraska City, Neb.]: Otoe County Historical Society and Otoe County Museum Society, 1983. 75. Print.
View Larger Map