St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery
This cemetery is located 0.4 mile north of the intersection of 19th & Orchard Drive in Nebraska City, on the east side of the road.
"Rev. C. Cusson, pastor of St. Mary's Catholic church, yesterday purchased of Mr. Valentine Wirth five acres of land situated on the Wyoming road just west of the northern limit of Sixteenth street. The plot will be laid out, used as a burying ground for the dead and to be known as the St. Mary's cemetery. F.C. Morrison is now at work on the plan for laying out the ground, having surveyed the same and lots will probably be placed on sale at a no distant day.
The dedication of the grounds will probably take place as soon as the grounds are laid out. The site selected is a beautiful one, being on top of the hill and is easy to access." (1)
"St. Mary's Cemetery is a parish cemetery of St. Mary's Catholic Church of Nebraska City. The Rev. C. Cusson, pastor of St. Mary's Catholic Church, purchased five acres of land situated on the Wyoming road just west of the northern limit of 16th St. The plot was laid out, used as a burying place for the dead and to be known as St. Mary's Cemetery. He purchased this land in 1886 from Valentine Wirth.
Mr. Valentine Wirth had gone to Otoe County Court and received a quiet title from Mrs. B.A. Wirth in 1875. More land was needed and John Henry Tihen, the Catholic Bishop of Lincoln signed over enough land to be 101/2 acres for the cemetery. A fence was erected at a cost of $114.70. F.C. Morrison worked on the plans and surveyed the property and lots were placed for sale.
A dedication was held as soon as the grounds were laid out. It is a beautiful site being located on top of the hill and has easy access to the road." (2)
Burial Listing: A comple burial listing can be found in our Members Only Section.
Point of Contact:
St. Mary's Catholic Church
218 N. 6th Street
Nebraska City, NE 68410
(1) "A New Cemetery." Nebraska City News [Nebraska City] 28 Apr. 1886. Print.
(2) "St. Mary's Cemetery Has over 100 Years of History." Nebraska City News-Press [Nebraska City] 8 Oct. 1993. Print.
View Larger Map