St. Paul's Lutheran Cemetery
This cemetery is located at the intersection of 50th & 'Quail' Roads, on the west side of the road.
"St. Paul Cemetery is located at 50th and Quail Road. This is 1 mile east and one half mile north of Talmage Nebraska near the southwest corner of Rock Creek Township of Otoe County Nebraska. This is also the site of where St. Paul Lutheran Church was built and dedicated in 1875 following the congregation's organization on May 25,1868. The church disbanded in 1972 as did Trinity Lutheran in Talmage and together the two former congregations formed Faith Lutheran in Talmage Nebraska on February 20, 1972. The St. Paul Church building was then razed and the cemetery is now expanding onto the area that was formerly the church's parking lot. The bell from St. Paul Church was mounted upon a pedestal fashioned from native rocks and the church's cornerstone. It is a landmark for St. Paul Cemetery.
On the 26th day of April in 1886, the residents of Rock Creek Precinct, Otoe County, Nebraska, namely Ludwig Wellsandt, H. Fahrenholtz, H. Winkelhake, John Bremer, H. Broeking, Jacob Paben, John Guthals, Christian Kastens and Wilhelm Neubauer formed a cemetery association according to the statutes of the State of Nebraska and was known as the St. Paul Graveyard Association. John Guthals and wife Louise gave the deed for the land which was located in the southeast quarter of section 30, township 7, range 13 of Otoe County, to the association. Officers elected were Trustees John Guthals, H. Winkelhake, Christian Kastens, clerk and H. Fahrenholtz.
In 1916, an acre of land was bought from Harm Guthals, a half acre on the south and half acre on the west. The name was changed to St. Paul Cemetery Association about 1926. More land was purchased from St. Paul Lutheran Church in the early 1970s. In 1972 when St. Paul disbanded the land that the church was on was given to the St. Paul Cemetery Association. Board members in 1983 were Norman Teten, chairman; Fredrick Wellsandt, treasurer; Ray Arends, Robert Wellsandt and Sterling Teten. Board members in 2006 were Sterling Teten, chairman; Fredrick Wellsandt, treasurer; Kurt Wellsandt, Allen Bischoff and Thomas Teten." (1)
Burial Listing: A complete listing of burials can be found in the Members Only Section.
(1) Arends, Duane. "History of St. Paul's Lutheran Cemetery." (2008). Print.
View Larger Map