Holy Trinity Catholic Cemetery
This cemetery is located 0.25 mile east of the intersection of 42nd & Arbor roads, on the south side of the road.
"Holy Trinity Catholic Church traces its beginning to 1865 with the arrival of David Straub and his wife Elizabeth Hanlon Straub. Other early pioneers to this Avoca community included Elizabeth Straub's mother Elizabeth Hanlon, the Frank Farrell family and Joseph Henry Gerig and his wife, Judith Straub Gerig. Masses were conducted in these pioneers' homes until the increase in families made it necessary to construct a church in 1884. Joseph Henry Gerig and Judith Straub Gerig endowed 80 acres of land, on which the church stands, as an aid to the maintenance of the church. The church was built across the road from their home.
Joseph Henry Gerig, who was so active in planning the new building and in whose home Holy Mass had been so frequently offered, died before the building was completed. He died September 18, 1884. He and his wife, Judith, are both buried in the church yard adjacent to the church. After Joseph Henry Gerig was buried, the cemetery was laid out adjoining his grave. The bell, still in the crate, was tolled for the first time at his funeral. Today this well maintained cemetery is still receiving the remains of the faithful departed." (1)
A complete listing of burials has been compiled by the Otoe County Genealogical Society, and can be found in our 'Otoe County Cemeteries'
CD-ROM, which is available for purchase on our Publications
Point of Contact:
St. Paulinus Catholic Church
863 5th Street
Syracuse, NE 68446
(1) Meyer, Judy. "History of the Holy Trinity Catholic Cemetery." (2008). Print.
View Larger Map