Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery (Delaware)
This cemetery is located on the southwest corner of the intersection of 40th and 'L' roads. This cemetery is also known as 'Delaware Lutheran Cemetery'
"It was in 1885 that Reverend F. Duerschner came from St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Talmage, Nebraska, to preach to a few families. The meeting place was a schoolhouse located two miles south and one-half west of the present church. In 1892 Reverend Kloeckner, who was then pastor in Otoe, preached occasionally in a schoolhouse located two miles north of the present location. In 1893 both locations both preaching places were organized into one congregation, namely 'Christ Lutheran.' Five acres of land were given to the congregation for a church by the late Fritz Janssen.
In the late fall of 1893 the cornerstone was laid. By the spring of 1894 the church was completed and dedicated. The new congregation was affiliated with the Iowa Synod. Soon afterward a parsonage was built. Reverend Kloeckner was the first resident pastor, 1893-1912. Other pastors who have served since its organization are: Reverend J. Koeppel, 1913-1917; Reverend Listman, 1917.“ (1)
Burial Listing: A complete listing can be found in our Members Only Section.
Point of Contact:
Christ Lutheran Church
708 S 40th Rd.
Syracuse, NE 68446
(1) Rowe, Karen S. "KarensGen.Com - Families - Renzelmann Immigrants from Germany." KarensGen.Com - KarensGen.Com Genealogy by Karen S. Rowe. KarensGen.Com. Web. 17 Nov. 2010.
View Larger Map