The cemetery is located 1.0 mile to the north of the Highway 2/Highway 50 interchange in Syracuse, and 0.5 mile to the east of the intersection of Highway 50/H road. It is located on the south side of the road.
"In 1865, a sister of George Warner died. Because Warner believed that a community cemetery was better, he sat aside two acres of his farm (NE 1/4 10-8-11) for this purpose. His sister, Charlotte, was buried here. Soon there were the graves of several neighbors and friends. Henry Brinkman's wife and child were moved from their farm to this cemetery. In 1867, before the town of Syracuse was platted, the Syracuse Cemetery Association was formed. The first three trustees were G.R. Burleigh, G.W. Warner, and J.W. Talbot.
In 1872 a prairie fire was discovered in this area. Someone attempted to save the 'stones' which were made of wood. In doing so, several were broken off and had to be cut off before they were replaced. Nor were they sure that all were placed exactly over the graves. In 1884, lots were sold from two to five dollars apiece. This cemetery is known today as the Warner Cemetery as is the association which cares for it. Burials have been made here in recent years. The last one was Mrs. Christine Pike in 1969."(1)
A complete listing of burials has been compiled by the Otoe County Genealogical Society, and can be found in our 'Otoe County Cemeteries' CD-ROM, which is available for purchase on our Publications
Point of Contact: This cemetery is maintained by a sexton. For more information, contact Kent Antes at (402) 269-2469.
(1) Masters, Margaret Dale. For the Record; the Centennial History of Syracuse, Nebraska. Syracuse, Neb.: Maverick Media, 1972. 55. Print.
View Larger Map